- Department of Physiology at AIIMS Bhopal was established in August 2012 under the guidance of Professor& HOD Dr. Sudhanshu Mishra and First Director Dr Sandip Kumar to start the MBBS course.
- PG course - MD in Physiology was started in 2016
- Department is having well equipped laboratories, Demo rooms &Well qualified Faculty and technical staff for High standard of teaching and evaluation including Innovative methods of teaching.
- Apart from clinical physiology, Haematology and experimental laboratories we have special labs in department -Autonomic function lab, neurophysiologylab, Cardiovascular lab
- Dept of Physiology developed well-structuredcompetency-based curriculumfor MBBS students and postgraduate students of physiology with standard assessment methods.
- For last 10 years of I MBBS university exams success rate is above 90%
- PG curriculum and research labs are well equipped with all the latest instruments in adequate number.
- Faculties of Department guides, encourages the UG students for participation in various national and international level quiz competition in Physiology. Our students had secured top positions in various Physiology Quiz held all over the country.
- The faculty of physiology department encourages, facilitates and helps UG students to undertake research study as part of ICMR STS program. One of our STS Project received prestigious ICMR CNMC STS Excellence Award in 2020.
- Department has started Integrated Physiology clinic for patients
- Department has started Naturopathy treatment Unit in AYUSH building under ICMR funded project.
- Extending the services of Clinical Physiology laboratories to the Hospital side after further advancement of Neurophysiology laboratory for diagnostic NCV and EMG, Autonomic function laboratory and vascular function testing lab.
- Department is involved in neurophysiology research activity related with PG thesis dissertation and various other intramural projects.
- The department has an air-conditioned library with about 100 books in the subject & allied specialities for the use of the faculty and PG students.
- Conducted CME on “Intraoperative Neurophysiology: Principles & Practices”15th November 2018
- Organized guest Lecture of scientist from MAYO clinic USA, on Exercise & Mitochondrial physiology for UG and faculty on 2nd Feb 2019.
- Organised First National Undergraduate Physiology quiz competition at AIIMS Bhopal on 30th March 2019
- CME and Workshop on “Brain Tap as a Tool for Neuro-modulation” 02/12/2019
- Extensive Yoga Workshop and Lecture on Psychophysiology of Yoga by Yoga Guru Shri Virendra Kumar Harit from Centre Indo Lillois De Yoga, Franceon 24April2019
- Organised Guest Lecture of Dr Jean F. Harrison – October 2013
- Organised workshop VIHASA byBrahmakumaris at AIIMS, Bhopal on 14 October 2019
- Conducted meditation according to YSS-NIC guidelines for students, faculty on 2nd November 2019
- Organised Guest lecture of Dr K. K. Deepak, Prof & HOD Physiology AIIMS Delhi14
- Organised CME (online and offline) in dept of physiology on Exercise Physiology and Exercise during covid times" at AIIMS, Bhopal on November 28th, 2020 and is approved by the CA vide Intersection Correspondence No. DIR/AIIMS-BPL/IC/2020/336 dated 16.10.2020.
- Organised Somatofulnness virtual workshop entitled “INTRODUCTION TO MIND-BODY MEDICINE”at AIIMS, Bhopal 7 th and 14th August2021
- Organised CME on Hypertension and its implications -18 November 2021
- Meditation session for Stress Management for Security Personnel of AIIMS, Bhopal on 27 April 2022
- Started integrated physiology clinical lab in department of physiology –14May 2022
- 7 Billion Acts of Goodness on16 july2022
- Conducted CME on current trends in the management of PCOD-17 September 2022
- Inauguration of naturopathy treatment unit -17 September 2022
- National Undergraduate Quiz in Physiology conducted four times.
- 1st foundation day
- MUN (model United Nation), model competition
- Faculties from department Conducted workshop on BEAR in ASSOPICON 2023- 27th October 2023
- Department organised workshop on NCS under the ageis of APPICON 2023 on 28th October 2023
Our vision is to develop:
1) Cardio-vascular function laboratory for the research in CV
physiology to study and evaluate the status of central blood
vessels like aorta and its haemodynamic parameters for risk
assessment in CV disorders.
2) Exercise and Sports physiology Laboratories
3) Cellular & Molecular Physiology Laboratory including Patch-clamp technology.
4) Sleep and chronobiology lab
FAQs for 1st MBBS:
- Our STS Project received prestigious ICMR CNMC STS Excellence Award 2020.
- “Shri Ram Murti Smarak Award” for best research work in Yoga and Naturopathy” of Association of Physiologists of India (ASSOPI) for the year 2021 on 7th September, 2021
- Third Best Poster Prize for “Study of immediate neurological and autonomic changes during Kapalbhati pranayama in yoga practitioners.” ESIC, Faridabad, APPICON 2022 “
- “Shri Ram Murti Smarak Award” for best research work in yoga and naturopathy of Association of Physiologists of India (ASSOPI) for the year 2023 on 28th October, 2023
- “Prof. Narsingh Verma Award” for best research work in chronobiology – in Association of Physiologists of India (ASSOPI) for the year 2023 on 29th October, 2023
Que: How much marks are allotted for Internal Assessment?
FAQ for PG course
Que: How many PG seats are available per year?
Ans: more than 6 seats advertised per year out of sanctioned 22
Que: Are sufficient research Laboratories available in dept of Physiology?
Ans: very well-established functional laboratories are available for PG students
FAQ for PhD course
Que: Is PhD physiology course is conducted in the department of physiology?
Que:If yes how many seats are allowed.
FAQ for fellowship program
Que: Is there any fellowship program running in the department.
Ans: It is under process; department of physiology will be going to start fellowship in neurophysiology very soon.
FAQs for JR
Que: What is the difference between academic and no academic JR?
Ans: Academic JR is selected through PG Entrance exam (INI-CET for PG Course) and pursue the MD Physiology course of 3 years in dept and he/she is designated as Academic JR.
Non-Academic JR is MBBS candidate selected through interview in AIIMS Bhopal for teaching and research work and to assist the faculties in the dept.
Que: Does patient comes in physiology? If yes, for what?
Ans: Yes, there are various investigation for which patients are referred to Physiology Department. Most common investigation is nerve conduction study and electro diagnostic investigation. Autonomic function assessment is the unique test done in Physiology department. Lifestyle intervention advice is also given in Physiology Department.
Que: What is exercise physiology?
Ans : Exercise Physiology deals with various physiological changes occurring during exercise. In this branch, Physiological adaptation in athletes or various persons involved in any form of exercise is evaluated. What are the various physiological adaptation that helps athletes to improve performance is studied in this branch.
Que: How Physiology is different from Physiotherapy?
Ans: Physiology is the study of normal functions of the body. Applied Physiology deals with various Physiological changes in diseased conditions. It is completely different from Physiotherapy. Physiotherapy generally works as a allied branch with orthopaedics and PMR department and mainly targets rehabilitation of the patients