Department of Forensic Medicine & Toxicology is a continuously emerging branch dealing with Medico-Legal Cases at AIIMS, Bhopal. It includes Medico-legal Autopsies, custodial death autopsies, expert opinions, bone examination, injury & weapon examination, sexual assault survivor & accused examination and age estimation. Teaching & academic sessions for undergraduate & postgraduate students is an essential part of curriculum. Recently Poison Information Centre (PIC) providing information regarding management of various poisoning cases nationwide. Clinical Forensic Medicine Unit (CFMU) dealing with the medico-legal cases arriving at Trauma & Emergency department (TEM) is one of the latest steps towards the expansion of the services provided by the department.
- Clinical Forensic Medicine Unit (CFMU)
- Forensic Toxicology
- Forensic Histopathology
- Forensic Radiology
- Forensic Humanities
- Medico-legal manual for Police personnel & Doctors of AIIMS, Bhopal :
- Engish (Click Here)
- Hindi (Cick Here)
- A low-cost SAFE (Sexual Assault Forensic Evidence) kit developed & used for examination of survivors of sexual assault by the doctors of AIIMS, Bhopal.
- Commencement of Poison Information Centre (PIC) to provide information regarding management of various poisoning cases nationwide.
- A video regarding ‘COVID-19 positive dead bodies from handling to packaging in a body bag in 10 steps’: Click Here
- Annual National level Undergraduate Autopsy Quiz ‘Forense’ since 2015.
- Annual ‘Forensic- Update’ National level Hands-on Workshop for post-graduates since 2017.
- Training of National & International Judicial officers in collaboration with National Judicial Academy (NJA), Bhopal.
- Regular training of Police officials.
- Regular in-house training of doctors of AIIMS, Bhopal regarding ‘How to deal with Medico-legal cases’ & ‘Death certification’.
- Funded :
- To see the incidence and attempt to find the etiology of incidental pleural adhesions seen during medico-legal autopsies at AIIMS, Bhopal. (Funded by SERB)
- Post-mortem sperm retrieval (PMSR) & its psychological perspective in the context of Indian Society. (Funded by ICMR)
- Developing a temper proof sample packaging and sealing kit with an effective sample’s dryer technique & a handy device to seal the samples in a medico-legal case. (Funded by ICMR)
- Intramural :
- Sexual dimorphism using cranial vault thickness in Indian population.
- Autopsy pathology in COVID-19 positive deaths at AIIMS, Bhopal.
- Forensic analysis of Ligature mark, ligature material & associated findings in case of hanging by ligature at AIIMS, Bhopal.
- Dead body management of COVID-19 positive and suspected cases.
- Counselling of relatives of COVID-19 deceased.